- 2 medium red potatoes chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 4-5 carrots diced
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- olive oil for sauteing
- 1 – 32 ounce container of Chicken Stock (I like Kitchen Basics brand) Or sub vegetable broth for a vegetarian version
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- peppered bacon pieces, shaved Parmesan, and green onions for garnish (optional)
Begin by sauteing the potatoes, carrots, onion, and cauliflower over medium heat until the onions begin to soften and caramelize. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer over medium-low heat until the cauliflower and potatoes soften. Remove the thyme stems and serve with peppered bacon, Parmesan, and a few chopped green onions. For a vegetarian soup, simply omit the bacon and use vegetable stock instead of the chicken stock. And for a vegan option, simply omit the cream and Parmesan cheese too. All three ways taste just as good!
The soup is full of veggie goodness and the fresh herbs really lend it a earthy, winter-y taste. It goes great with a nice piece of crusty french bread too!