Craft It – DIY Mini Spring Succulent Planters

filed under

Remember how I teased yesterday that I had some amazing projects coming up? Well, today is one that I am especially in love with. I mean how can you go wrong with pops of color, gold, marble, and succulents? I just don’t think that it’s possible! And, to top it off, these little planters are made with plastic Easter eggs and cost under $0.50 to make! What?! Seriously, how does it get any better?

DIY Mini Spring Succulent Planters from Plastic Easter eggs! What a fun craft idea that is perfect for a spring party or bridal shower.

Okay, maybe I am too excited about this project. But I am so in love with how they turned out and that they were just so simple to make that really anyone could make them. It also doesn’t hurt that they incorporate some of my favorite things like gold, marble, and succulents.

These little planters would be perfect lined up on a shelf for decor, or as the centerpiece at your next dinner party, or even as little favors at a spring or summer bridal party. The possibilities are endless, and once you get started making them, I promise it will be difficult to stop.

Lets get started with the tutorial shall we?

The Supplies:

You will begin by opening the eggs and using the bottoms only. But save those tops because I have another project coming up next week for how to use those! You will also need to separate the marble hexagon tile from its backing mesh so that you have individual pieces to work with.

Now use your gold leaf pen to color the top edge of the bottom portion of the egg. There should be the inset section of the egg that you will want to paint gold. This helps disguise the fact that the little planters are made from plastic eggs and gives a nice gold accent to the planters.

Once your eggs have been accented with the gold, you will use your hot glue to fill in any holes in the bottom of the egg. Just a small dot of glue will work. Then use the hot glue to affix one egg bottom to one piece of the marble hexagon tile. And repeat with all your other eggs and tile pieces.

Now you have your mini planters all ready to be filled with potting soil and baby succulents! The great thing about succulents is that you can break off the shoots from one large succulent and replant them to make mini plants. As long as you keep the soil moist they will re-root and begin growing anew. If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen me hint at pulling succulent shoots from my succulent garden for this project a few weeks ago.

Now that your mini planters are filled, I don’t think that there is anyway someone would be able to tell that they started as plastic Easter eggs. Do you?

You could also add a little name tag in gold hand lettering and you have yourself a fun place card and gift for your guests to take home all in one!

Have you had enough photos of them yet? Well, how about one more. Just for good measure!

Now go get your craft on and I will see you next week with even more awesome plastic Easter egg ideas for your spring table!

Mini Spring Succulent Planters using old plastic Easter eggs and marble tile with gold accents - Easy DIY Craft

*Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links
which means that I get a percent of the sale if you were to happen to
purchase something that I link to. The price is the same for you either
way, but I get a little commission that helps me pay for more supplies
to make even more awesome blog posts for you!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Crystal Atkins

March 4th, 2016 at 9:23 pm

How adorable!

2. kailochic@hotmail.com

March 4th, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Thanks! I may have taken a ton of pictures of them because I love them so much!

3. Christy

March 11th, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Really cute!! but how did you get the eggs to sit? aren't they round on the bottom? Also, you may want to leave the holes for drainage or add sand (1 part sand to 1 part soil) if you don't have drainage holes.

4. kailochic@hotmail.com

March 11th, 2016 at 3:04 pm

I hot glued the eggs to the marble tiles. That way they have a heavy, flat base to stand on. Good idea with the sand dirt mixture. I didn't want the holes because I didn't want the water leaking all over the table when I water them.

5. Megan Duesterhaus

April 5th, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Okay – so I'm kinda sad that Easter is over because I am just loving all your cute egg ideas, lol!

6. Unknown

July 12th, 2016 at 7:31 am

They plants are adorable!!!

7. Anonymous

October 17th, 2016 at 2:24 am

Where did you get the mini tiles??? I really want to make these, nut don't know where I could get them. Also, how much are they? I love these so much! Hope to make a ton soon!!! 🙂

8. kailochic@hotmail.com

October 17th, 2016 at 2:57 am

If you click on the words marble hexagon tile in the supplies lost it will take you to the Amazon listing where I bought the tiles I used. Right now they are less than $7 for a whole sheet of 20-30 tiles.

9. Maria Fountaine

October 22nd, 2016 at 1:00 am

Is it expensive to make this?

10. The Harts

February 28th, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I bought enough plants to make 7 total. (Granted there were more eggs & tiles purchased than needed). That being, I spent about $22.00 for all the supplies (not including the hot glue/gun, I had that).
    2" plants – $1.59/each Local garden center
    Foil Pen – $5.00 Hobby Lobby w/ coupon
    Large eggs – $1.98 Walmart
    Hexagon Tiles – One Sheet (25 tiles, mixed with small black tiles) $2.57 Home Depot.
    Hope that helps! 🙂

11. The Harts

February 28th, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Super Cute! Making these tonight with a girls youth group! Thanks for sharing!

12. Krista

March 5th, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Do you think the oil-based Sharpies would work as well as the foil pen? I want to make these with my Daisy Girl Scouts!

13. Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing

April 4th, 2017 at 8:24 am

Fantastic idea! They are so simple, yet colorful and fun! Love them! 🙂 Lisa

14. Anonymous

May 2nd, 2017 at 5:20 pm

The idea is wonderful. I'm going to use it for a primary grade school Mother's Day project. I think my second grade students would really enjoy making them and I have all the materials except the plants.

15. 20 Beautiful DIY Succulent Planter Ideas - diycandy.com

January 20th, 2018 at 1:49 am

[…] DIY Mini Spring Succulent from akailochiclife.com […]

16. 101 Easy DIY Spring Craft Ideas and Projects - DIY & Crafts

March 4th, 2018 at 9:46 pm

[…] Make also colorful DIY succulent planters that will rock to welcome the spring season! You can also repurpose the plastic eggs to make some cool and colorful succulent planters for your space! Here the plastic egg succulent planters have been adorned with a gold paint line at the around the top and sits on hexagonal marble tiles for a graceful look and appeal! Another outstanding spring décor project to duplicate! Grab the full free guide and visual instructions from here akailochiclife […]

17. The Ultimate List of 30+ Hot Craft Ideas to Sell - OhClary

March 30th, 2018 at 1:31 am

[…] Source: A Kailo Chic Life […]

18. 10 ideas DIY para decorar de primavera tu hogar

April 6th, 2018 at 8:29 am

[…] contamos también dos ideas con hueveras de colores que nos han enamorado. En la primera se trata de utilizarlas como jarrones para alegrar nuestro […]

A KAILO CHIC LIFE 2017