- Large cylindrical glass vase (I found mine at the craft store in the flower section)
- Unfinished Wood Rounds from the craft store (find sizes that match or are larger than the glass vase)
- Gold Acrylic Paint
- Vinyl in at least two colors (I chose neon pink and Gold)
- Vinyl cutter or rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat
- Industrial strength adhesive such as E6000 or Power Tac
- Gold or Brass knobs (or spray paint plain silver ones in the color of your choice)
Begin by measuring the circumference of your glass vase. You will want to cut your vinyl into a triangle with the base of the triangle equal to the circumference and the height of the triangle equal to about 75% of the height of the glass. Then just remove your vinyl from it’s baking and wrap around your upside down vase lining the bottom of the triangle up with the bottom of the vase. I found it best to work slowly around the side squishing out the air bubbles as I go.
At this point you can leave it as is, or cut another small sliver of a coordinating color to add an accent stripe. Or as in the case of my large cake stand, use a vinyl cutter to cut out a repeating pattern of oblong shapes to add interest to your glass.
glass down a bit to give it some texture for the glue to hold on to. I ended up using these brass knobs I found at the Habitat ReStore for $.25 each! Once they are glued on, be sure to let them set overnight so that the glue has time to cure and harden properly.
The last step is to paint the sides of your wood round with the gold acrylic paint. I left the top of my wood rounds raw so that they remained food safe.
Once the glue and paint are dry, place your vases upside down on your wood rounds and you have the cutest little cake plates, dessert stands, or decorative cloches.
Now tell me these are not the cutest cake stands you have ever seen! I seriously want to go out and make a ton in a bunch of different colors for my next party. If you end up making your own, be sure to share them with me on social media by tagging them #mykailochic. I love to see what you guys make!
This is amazing, so modern, elegant and creative, OMG status!
[…] DIY Modern Cake Stands from akailochiclife.com […]