DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

filed under

Have you all seen those fun, colorful fringed party decorations? The ones that look like a pinata wall? They seem to be popping up on my radar everywhere. I just had to try making one myself. Since I just celebrated my 35th birthday this past weekend, I figured why not try to make a DIY pinata fringe photo backdrop for my birthday? Surprisingly it isn’t difficult to do, you just need plastic table cloths and a piece of plastic fencing. Now, I won’t lie, it will take quite a few man hours to put together, but the time it takes will vary depending on the size you want.

DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

Materials:

Plastic table cloths
Plastic fencing
-Scissors

Begin by cutting your table cloths into strips. You will want some long strips (about 8′ long), some medium strips (about 6′ long), and some short strips (about 4′ long) in each color you use. I found that it is easiest to unroll the length of table cloth that I need and cut it from the roll, then fold up the table cloth and cut into strips.

DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

Once you have all your strips, you are ready to make your wall. I hung up the fencing on the wall using thumb tacks to make the process easier, but you can do all this on the ground too. Start my folding one of the long strips of table cloth in half and threading the folded end through one of the bottom holes of the fencing to create a loop. Then pull the ends of the table cloth through the loop to make a knot. Repeat to make a section of long table cloth pieces at the bottom. Then move on up to the middle of the fencing and add the medium length strips. Then at the top add the short strips to the very top row. Feel free to vary the location of the strips a bit to get different levels of fringe.

DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

DIY Pinata Fringe Photo Backdrop

Keep working on the sections starting at the bottom and working your way up until you have your entire piece of fencing covered. Then you can hang the DIY pinata fringe photo backdrop up for your party guests to pose in front of! This section that I made is about 8′ tall by about 7′ wide and took two days to make. If that seems daunting, just enlist the help of a few friends and you can whip one out in no time!

Now that makes for one colorful party!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Rachelle Martin

August 14th, 2018 at 11:00 am

I’d love to see a picture of the back!

2. Holly

August 14th, 2018 at 11:29 am

This piƱata fringe backdrop is so beautiful! It’s crazy to think you DIY’ed it. I definitely want to try making this as a photo backdrop for a party some time in the future! šŸ’•

3. Jes

August 14th, 2018 at 1:45 pm

This. Is. AMAZING. I would make it then leave it up for… well, let’s be honest, I’d leave it up forever! And since it’s made of plastic that would be totally do-able! You’ve inspired me, and now my little gears are turning haha.

4. Bekah

August 20th, 2018 at 2:03 pm

This is so cute! I love how the idea can be used with any color scheme. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

5. Picks of the Week for August 24, 2018 | Hands Occupied

August 24th, 2018 at 6:00 am

[…] poppet weaving-inspired sugar cookiesĀ -a beautiful mess easy crochet appleĀ -repeat crafter me pinata fringe photo backdropĀ (a.k.a. latch hooking with unusual materials) -a kailo chic lifeĀ  macrame purseĀ -fall for diy […]

6. Gabriel

August 29th, 2018 at 1:33 am

Wow! I love this idea! Thank you for sharing!

7. 20 Fun DIY-able Wedding Photo Backdrops and Props - Something Turquoise

September 25th, 2018 at 5:03 am

[…] This Pinata Fringe Backdrop from A Kailo Chic Life […]

8. Nikki

October 27th, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Love this! Looks like you spray painted the fencing white. When I sprayed certain plastics it leaves them sticky – is there a specific brand or type of spray paint you use?

9. kailochic@hotmail.com

October 30th, 2018 at 11:30 pm

Just make sure to use one that says it can be used on plastics on the can. Then it wonā€™t be tacky.

10. Kelsey

October 28th, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Love love love this! How many feet of tablecloth would you estimate you used?

11. kailochic@hotmail.com

October 30th, 2018 at 11:26 pm

I honestly have no idea, but I can tell you I used about a half a roll of each color.

12. Heydy

November 4th, 2018 at 2:30 pm

How would you transport this? I love the idea but I have no clue how I would move it around

13. kailochic@hotmail.com

January 21st, 2019 at 6:26 pm

Sorry! I’m just now seeing this comment! I just folded the fringe backdrop over until it was about 3-4′ wide and put it in the back of my SUV. Then I gently folded in the long hanging pieces. pretty simple since it is all just thin plastic.

14. Bianca

January 21st, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Love this!!
    How do you attach it to the wall? Is it just held by tacks was it fairly heavy to transport… want to make one but incorporate some bling like metallics. Do you think that would work?

15. kailochic@hotmail.com

January 22nd, 2019 at 8:24 pm

I just held it up with tacks, but nails work too. Itā€™s not too heavy. Maybe 20 pounds or so. I think metallic fringe would be amazing!

16. Mariam

January 23rd, 2019 at 10:30 am

How many tacks did you use to hold it up? I will be transporting it and since the wall iā€™d be using is all closets i can only put tacks on the top. Will that work? Also does dollar store plastic sheets work?

17. kailochic@hotmail.com

January 23rd, 2019 at 11:50 am

You can also use removable adhesive strips to hang plastic hooks on the closet doors. Like the 3M wall hooks. I would say at least 3-5 hooks. And yes, dollar store plastic table cloths would work too!

18. Anna Z

March 4th, 2019 at 7:51 am

Hi, to achieve the size of backdrop you made, do I buy one 2×25 feet plastic fencing?

19. kailochic@hotmail.com

March 4th, 2019 at 11:04 am

20. beth

March 12th, 2019 at 7:17 am

Hi,
    Love this! Where did you buy all the coloured plastic rolls from please?

21. kailochic@hotmail.com

March 13th, 2019 at 9:10 pm

I bought mine on amazon, party city, and oriental trading

A KAILO CHIC LIFE 2017